Saturday, June 30, 2007

A Saturday Post!

Regular readers of FullCourtPresby know that I do not post of Saturday or Sunday. Today I have to make an exception. Here’s why…

I pulled into The Oasis, my office away from the office, to get some work done. A group of six ladies was sitting at the round table near me. For an hour-and-a-half those ladies sat there and talked—no, they SLAMMED their pastor, church, other ladies at their church and just about everything else. Anyone sitting with ten feet of them could hear every word they said. It was horrible. Fortunately I was the only other person sitting at a table the whole time. I listed to music on my computer (with headphones) to block them out. Between every song I could hear them complain, complain, complain.

Thought #1: Please do not gripe about your church when in a public place. Every person who attends a church has their own opinion about the church, pastor, staff, programs and other people. Not everyone will agree. So, keep it “within the family” and not out in public.

Thought #2: Talk to someone in church leadership if you have complaints—not other people in the church. Change can happen if the concerns are valid.

Thought #3: Christians in public can be the best or worst advertisements for the Christian faith and our local church. I can guarantee you that I would never darken the doors of a church that those ladies attend. I would fear that one day I would become their topic of conversation. An unchurched person would have been totally turned off to the faith by these ladies.

Thought #4: Gossip is a cancer. Gossip can kill a church. These ladies may be doing a great job of killer their church.

I thought about speaking to them but it didn’t feel right at the time.

Let’s pray for them.

1 Comments:

At 8:31 PM , Blogger Benjamin P. Glaser said...

I seem to remember a certain "Saint Paul" charging us to watch our speech in the company of unbelievers. But hey who listens to that Paul guy anyway...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home