Monday, September 18, 2006

The B-I-I-I-B-L-E

“The B-I-B-L-E, yes that the book for me

I stand alone on the Word of God

The B-I-B-L-E”

Young children have learned to this little song for years and years. Before our kids could sing this song before they knew how to spell. The good news was that that our kids grew up knowing how to spell “Bible.” The bad news is that today’s high tech kids may have to learn how to spell “Bible” a new way—B-I-I-I-B-L-E!

There is a fairly new web site out there: http://www.biiible.com/. Biiible calls itself a “Bible search engine for the Google freak.” I just heard about the site this weekend and have been checking it out.

On the surface it looks a lot like Biblegateway.com, but don’t let that fool you. With Biblegateway.com a person can type in a verse (eg/ John 1:1) and that verse will show up on the monitor. The user can choose from 20 English versions of the Bible or numerous non-English versions as well. The user can also view the entire chapter that the verse is located in. Biblegateway also functions as a HUGE concordance—being able to search any of its versions of the Bible to find a word or phrase.

Biiible offers SO MUCH MORE! Today I will only focus on a few of its features. Click on “Study tools” and some fantastic tools appear. The “Dictionary Browser” allows the user to look up any word in an English translation with a built-in dictionary of the Bible. The Strong’s number for each Hebrew and Greek word is also given. The “Bible Stories” button links the user to the most familiar stories of the Bible. The Bible timeline helps the non-historian get a sense of when the various biblical events happened. There is also a maps section in the study tools. The maps section is the only part of the study tools that leave something to be desired.

Check out http://www.biiible.com/. Tomorrow I will look at other features of this site.

2 Comments:

At 9:24 AM , Blogger Pastor Lance said...

Dave,
I can't take credit for finding gems like this. One of my elders is a tech type of guy. For the past two years he was in charge of instructional technology for a local school district. He is back serving as an elementary principal this year. He got me started blogging. He keeps me up on new technologies and sites. Later this week and next week I will share other "new things" he has shown me.

Lance

 
At 9:58 PM , Blogger Dr. Glenn E. Malone said...

You go Lance! I remember the first time I gave you the WWJD NIV bible on CD. You've been a techo pastor ever since!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home