Wednesday, August 02, 2006

The Passion

My “office” away from the office is a Christian coffee house/café called The Oasis. When I really need to get things done I head for The Oasis. Pastors of small churches that have musical ability often become very involved in the worship music. This morning my task was to transpose a song or two from Newsong’s Rescue cd and from the new Passion cd called Everything Glorious. Working on the transposing nearly brought me to tears. Do I really believe the words of these songs? Does my church? Does my denomination (the PCUSA)?

Some of the words from these songs are:

Rescue

I need You, Jesus, to come to my rescue, where else can I go?

There’s no other name by which I am saved;

Capture me with grace; I will follow You; I will follow You.

This world has nothing for me; this world has nothing for me;

This world has nothing for me; this world has nothing for me.

I need You, Jesus, to come to my rescue, where else can I go?

There’s no other name by which I am saved;

Capture me with grace; I will follow You; I will follow You.

By Jared Anderson, Copyright 2003 Vertical Worship Songs

Used by permission, CCLI #1011516

Glorious

Glorious, over us, You shall reign glorious.

Glorious, over us, You shall reign glorious.

We lift our hands in praise to You, lift our hearts in worship to You, Lord.

We lift our voice to You and sing,

Our greatest love will ever be You, Lord, You Lord.

Glorious, over us, You shall reign glorious.

Glorious, over us, You shall reign glorious.

By Chris Tomlin and Jesse Reeves, Copyright 2006 worshiptogether.com Songs/sixsteps Music

Used by permissioin, CCLI #1011516

If we believe the words to these songs we will DO SOMETHING!! The largest church in our area just moved fifteen miles so that they can do urban ministry. Mars Hill Church in Seattle is opening two or three new campuses. They believe… and are doing something. Do I believe? Does my church believe? Does my denomination believe? Do you believe? Does your church believe? If the answers are “yes” then what are we going to do about it?

3 Comments:

At 8:41 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Christian coffee house?

How cool!

(Now watch my envy meter go off the scale!)

So, you mean that in the Pacific Northwest there are enough Christians left to even support the establishment? :)

 
At 10:59 AM , Blogger Pastor Lance said...

Classical,
There are believers in the Great Northwest. It's hard to carry and Bible and an umbrella at the same time. :-)

Seriously, if we would move beyond our church buildings and do "church" things in public we would see that that there are believers all around us. We would also begin to intersect with the public in new ways.

 
At 7:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Seriously, if we would move beyond our church buildings and do "church" things in public we would see that that there are believers all around us."

Now, you're just plain scaring my 'frozen chosen' self! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home