Monday, March 20, 2006

Purpose Driven Presbyterians Network

Its time to lighten up!! The past topics have been weighty. Let’s spend some time on our hope for the future.

First… on the basketball court the state of Washington had a fabulous day on Saturday. The U of W men are in the “sweet sixteen,” the Gonzaga (I know they are Catholic) men are in the “sweet sixteen,” and the U of W women won their first round game in the women’s NCAA basketball tournament. Way to go!!!

This week I am going to focus on a positive movement in the PCUSA called the Purpose Driven Presbyterians Network (I know Rick Warren is a Baptist—its ok, don’t sweat it!). The Purpose Driven paradigm does fit with a Presbyterian context.

The five New Testament principles that it emphasizes are worship, fellowship, discipleship, ministry & mission. These five are drawn from the “great commandment” and the “great commission." “Wait a gall-darn-minute,” you may say. “Don’t all of our churches do these five things?” We worship. We hope people become disciples. We dream of mission. We hope we have “bodies” to fill all of our ministries. Yet, my contention is that we do not do any of these well unless we put a special emphasis on them.

So fasten your spiritual and liturgical seatbelts and prepare for a high speed trip through Purpose Driven ministry Presbyterian style.

2 Comments:

At 8:08 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always been unconvinced about the 'Purpose Driven' mania in churches and Warren is not one of my personal heroes, but it seems that we frozen chosen could use some of his evangelistic fire and enthisiasm!

I look forward to reading your upcoming posts! Maybe you'll change my mind about it!

 
At 10:18 PM , Blogger Pastor Lance said...

I hope that my postings on the Purpose Drive Presbyterians will be helpful. There are many who feel like you do.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home